Monday, February 2, 2015

Reflections on Healing - 14 Days of Self Appreciation Challenge: Day 2



February 2nd, is Imbolc, which is a celebration of the mid-point of winter.  It is looking forward toward the ending of of the cold season and the approaching spring. Symbolically this relates to giving up the old (winter) and looking forward to the birth of new (spring).  It is therefore an appropriate time to look at concepts of change and renewal. 

Celebrations during Imbolc, include honouring Brigid, a celtic Goddess is connected with poetry, healing and smithcraft (metalwork).   And because I see this challenge of self-appreciation as a healing rite it is apt to include thoughts of this celebration in my ritual.

Yesterday after doing my self-esteem reading I challenged myself to write a list of 100 things that I am good at or that I like about myself.  I started out slow and hesitant.  Gradually, the thoughts came more quickly to me and soon I have surpassed the goal and finished with 110 things I like about myself.  What an accomplishment!  

Today I will do "A Seven Candle Ritual" that I found that speaks to me of change and renewal:






Cleansing bath:

  • I will soak in a luxurious scent filled tub surrounded by soft music and candle light
  • I will meditate on the old negative thoughts I wish to wash away out of my life.  I will tell myself why these thoughts and messages no longer work for me and why I want them out of my life.
  • As I drain the tub I will imagine all those negative thought flowing away to be gone.

Preparing for the new:

  • I will dress in new clothing, to symbolize that I am building new habits.

"Seven Candle Ritual" inviting change and renewal:

Lighting the first candle I say:
Although it is now dark, I come seeking light.
In the chill of winter, I come seeking life.
Lighting the second candle I say:
I call upon fire, that melts the snow and warms the hearth.
I call upon fire, that brings the light and makes new life.
I call upon fire to purify me with your flames.
Lighting the third candle I say:
This light is a boundary, between positive and negative.
That which is outside, shall stay without.
That which is inside, shall stay within.
Lighting the fourth candle I say:
I call upon fire, that melts the snow and warms the hearth.
I call upon fire, that brings the light and makes new life.
I call upon fire to purify me with your flames.
Lighting the fifth candle I say:
Like fire, light and love will always grow.
Like fire, wisdom and inspiration will always grow.
Lighting the sixth candle I say:
I call upon fire, that melts the snow and warms the hearth.
I call upon fire, that brings the light and makes new life.
I call upon fire to purify me with your flames.
Lighting the seventh  candle I say:
Fire of the hearth, blaze of the sun,
cover me in your shining light.
I am awash in your glow,
and tonight I am made pure.
Now I visualize
The seven flames coming together as one.
As the light builds, see the energy growing in a purifying glow
Now I take some time to reflect and get into a meditative state
I meditate by candle light

I breathe and feel the calm relaxation that brings.

I visualize this as a time of healing and inspiration and purification.
I ask myself these question:
Do I have something damaged that needs to be healed?

Am I feeling stagnant, for lack of inspiration?

Is there some part of my life that feels toxic or tainted?

I visualize the changes I want to embrace
The light is a warm, enveloping energy that wraps itself around me
The light is symbolic of the healing I am inviting into my life

The light is a spark of creativity
The light is purifies that which is damaged.

I visualize myself a stronger more centered person



I found this web page today, which totally fits in with today's theme.  I plan to do this also this evening.  Brighid's Crossroads Divination. 

I look forward to this self-appreciation gift to myself.

I hope some of you will join me on this healing journey.

Renate Dundys Marrello

2015 – 02 – 02 


photo credit:  unknown 

No comments:

Post a Comment