Thursday, January 24, 2013

It is in the Air

It is interesting to think of air, we breathe it most of the time without thinking about it.  We smell the air born scents and acknowledge those.  But how often do we just stop and enjoy the process of breathing. 

I find myself doing just that when in a place of poignant beauty.  See a beautiful coastline and then just stand there inhaling and exhaling.

Inhaling all the wonder and the beauty, exhaling all the turbulent emotions and releasing their energy.

I sometimes wish I could just stay there and luxuriate in the almost spiritual moment of breathing.  It is at a moment like this that I feel in tune with the universe.  I can almost grasp the meaning of it all.  That elusive something that makes life so fascinating.  Here away from all the daily strife and conflict, away from the intrusion of news events and controversy; that I can touch the essence of what life is all about. 

At moment like this I wonder if we have crowded our lives with too many things and events that don’t contribute to our well-being?  Do we need to strip our lives down to the most elementary to appreciate the bounty that is truly available to us?   Is it possible to live in a modern world filled with consumer goods and the need to possess to be in touch with the nature of life…breathing in and breathing out?

I breathe in and I breathe out and I strip away another layer of being connected to material things.  Things are nice, and some of them are a comfort or to protect us from the elements etc.  But when things become more important that the appreciation of what is actually there; then we lose touch with nature. 

Accumulating things becomes more important that accumulating experiences.  Accumulation of things leads to envy of those who have more.  Accumulation of things leads to power struggles over who deserves the right to have more things.  Whereas all beings are equal in the enjoyment of nature's bounty.  Or even more importantly, in this perspective the richest person it he who can perceive and be aware of the most beauty! 

Wealth would be measured in the experiencing of beauty and the poor would be those who stood before a majestic landscape and perceived nothing.  What a different world it would be if we were driven by a desire to experience more beauty instead of the need to accumulate more stuff.


Renate Dundys Marrello
2013 – 01 - 15

    Photoart by Renate Dundys Marrello
        My journal entries and picture are copyright
        You may quote and share as long as you give me credit.
       Photoart may be ordered as signed art if you contact me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment