Wednesday, October 3, 2018

My Daily Reflection: Respect





A quote I read today:  

“treat people the way you want to be treated, 
talk to people the way you want to be talked to. 
Respect is earned not given”

I can see the wonderful optimism of this quote however I can also see that it is not reality.  We can only choose to give respect, to live our own actions of respect.  We cannot control whether others will reciprocate. 

Even if we do everything right we cannot always earn respect. Yes we may deserve respect but not everyone is willing to give respect even to those who have earned or deserve it.
We can only control our own behaviour but we cannot control whether or not others will give respect to us.

Respect is a gift that some give but it is always their choice!

There are others who withhold respect in an effort to control us or manipulate us into giving them something they feel they are entitled to.  They withhold respect because they use respect as a currency to gain them something they feel they deserve or some expectation they have.

Some of the most painful moments in my life came from expecting to be treated with respect simply because I did the right thing or the good thing.  Only to discover that others did not feel the need to treat me with respect even though I acted with good intentions and with integrity.

Those are the people who use withholding of respect as a weapon to gain something for themselves.

It would be nice if respect were something everyone felt was a universal gift.   But sadly, there are those who do not live the golden rule. They expect respect to be given to them but treat others with disrespect.

Human nature and human behaviour remains very challenging for me to understand.

Renate Dundys Marrello
2018 – 10 – 03

Link to my Facebook Reflections Page

My journal blog entries are copyright.
I love when you share my page to spread the word.

If you want to quote me I kindly ask that you please provide a link back to my page. 



photo credits: as marked or unknown  

No comments:

Post a Comment