Saturday, June 10, 2017

My Daily Reflections: the pitfalls of the comparison habit




I think one of the things that we learn as children is comparing ourselves to others.  

Maybe our parents started the trend, by saying things like: 
- “why can’t you be more like….”  Or 
- “look at how well ….. is doing.”  

These messages somehow stick as we grow up and we internalize them.  Once we internalize them we become our own worst critic.  We start to compare ourselves to others and find all the different ways we don’t compare favorably.  

It is a vicious circle, we feel bad when we compare ourselves to others so we do more of it and more of it always coming up short and soon we lose all sense of self-worth.  

At some point in time, for our own mental well-being, we have to stop this cycle, to move away from comparisons to celebrations of our victories. 

We need to learn to redirect those false habits that no longer serve and create new ones that serve to create wholeness within us. Sometimes that means totally relearning the internal habits of a lifetime, especially if we carried this childhood pattern forward into our adult life. 

Thought for today:
where do I still cling to the false patterns of comparing myself to others?

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2017 - 06 - 09

Link to my Facebook Reflections Page
for some reason I can no longer access facebook.  If I sort out that glitch I will see you again there.  If not, well that is life, and I will make my notes here in Google Blogger instead.

My journal blog entries are copyright.
I love when you share my page to spread the word.
If you want to quote me I kindly ask that you please provide a link back to my page. 


photo credit - as marked or unknown 


No comments:

Post a Comment