Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Reflections on Healing after estrangement: Change and Starting Something New

Healing is about change.
About embracing something different
A symbol of change is starting something new.

For a long time now I have been following the lunar cycle; learning when the moon rises and sets, following the waxing and waning of the moon.   Recently I started learning more about ancient rituals and symbolism around the phase of the moon.  And I realized that those symbols relate to life, to the planting and harvesting of the ideas and intentions of our lives.

And healing is a cycle of releasing the old harvest (the bad experiences) and planting a new crop (making room for changes).  I decided to embrace this symbol of cycles as a healing tool.   My meditation evolves and grows as I learn and discover.  But always I have one intention in mind, to bring new ideas into my life that will make my days richer and fuller in meaning.

New moon - photo credit unknown
The “New Moon”, in the lunar ritual cycle, stands for a new beginning, for receiving and creating anew.







So with this in mind I decided to create a “new moon ritual” that allows me to meditate on this concept.  I wanted to create a space where I could make this a special and significant time:

  • To reflect upon the new beginnings I want to make.  
  • To creating something new and different in my life
  • To allowing healing to flow into my life
  • To change my thought patterns


I stated by asking myself some questions:

  • What is it that I want now, in the aftermath of all that has happened?
  • What would I like the patterns of my life now and into the future look like?
  • How would I like to feel and what emotions do I want to embrace?
  • Which changes can I take responsibility for to make them happen in my life?
  • Where do I see myself headed?
  • When do I see myself arriving at this destination?


The ritual I created is simple:

  • A detox soak in the tub in the dark of early morning near the time of the rising new moon. (symbol - to wash away old negative feelings that no longer work for me or are no longer wanted in my life and to be aligned with new beginnings) 
  • I light candles for soft lighting. (symbol - light my path to new destinations)
  • I have soft music playing and / or a prepared meditation! (to guide my mind toward the thoughts I wish to embrace) 
  • I give myself the gift of time.  Time for me to reflect on the changes and new beginnings I am making.


I allow my intensions to flow; I ask for those things that I value to become apparent in my life:

  • I ask for peace and happiness and gratitude to flow abundantly into my life
  • I ask that I be more aware of those things in my life that bring me peace and joy
  • I ask to be open to embracing these gifts of happiness with exuberance and enthusiasm.
  • I ask to be conscious of new thoughts, idea and creative opportunities when they appear in my life.


For me, incorporating a new ritual is just one more way to connect mindfully with those things that bring joy into my life.  The act of verbalizing my intensions through ritual, allows me to courageously connect with those things that I am grateful for and to consciously choose and embrace change and move forward in my healing journey 

It is one more way for me to distinguish between those things that I cannot change and those things which I have the power to change.  Rituals like this are one more tool in my “wellness toolkit” that makes it possible for me to find peace in my heart, to reach for joy and enthusiasm and energy, to face today just as it is.

Renate Dundys Marrello
2014 – 01 – 20

my facebook page 


No comments:

Post a Comment